Thursday, February 13, 2014

Impossible Place: India in Providence by MIchelle Cho (Midterm)



I created an abstract, surreal map consisting of aerial view Google map images of India and Providence. My intention was to express the disconnect between India and Providence as country and city. I emphasized the differences by writing out facts about each place, as if they were my field notes. When I researched India and Providence, I found plain facts that informed me about each place. To express my feeling of not knowing much about either place still (at least not much about India at all), I mixed the facts so that my audience had to decipher for themselves whether each fact belonged to one place or the other. Some general facts were not very clear as to which location it is about, so the experience of viewing this project involved an unavoidable confusion. Eventually, the incoherent visual map and mix of both overlapping and distinct information pieces created an impossible location. This piece was an effort to present my place as the artist, researcher, and presenter. That I didn't see a clear connection between India and Providence in response to the prompt to create something about India in Providence.


No comments:

Post a Comment